Needs to be prepared the day before the assembly of the cake. This allows it to be completely cooled; as well as, set.
Ingredients in Order of Usage:
Egg Mixture Section:
6 egg yolks
½ cup milk (Whole Milk)
½ cup sugar
1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- In a metal bowl, either whisk these ingredients together manually or with the whisk attachment for a standing mixer.
- Set this mixture aside for the next section.
1 ¾ cup milk (Whole Milk)
¼ cup sugar
2 tsps Vanilla (extra strength, Madagascar Bourbon, etc.)
1 tbsp. salted butter
- Prepare the bottom half of the double boiler with ¾ inch of water that is simmering.
- Place the top half of the double boiler on top of the simmering water section.
- Put the milk, sugar and vanilla into the top section of the double boiler.
- Whisk these ingredients well.
- Cook for 5 ½ minutes. DO NOT let the milk boil.
- Add egg mixture slowly to the milk mixture. Whisking as you do.
- Continue to whisk for approximately 4-5 minutes.
- The custard should thicken and begin to bubble around the edges of the pan.
- Once this occurs, remove from heat and whisk in butter until butter has melted.
- Place the custard in a bowl, place plastic wrap onto the top of the custard.
- Refrigerate until ready to place into a cake. (no more than 24 hours)